After the completion of the planning work in the summer of 1895, the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the Flexen Road took place on 3 August of that year. The work was supervised by the Provincial Building Officer, Chief Engineer Paul Ilmer and the Chief Building Officer, August Ritt (1852 – 1934), who was the building department head in the imperial and royal governor's office in Innsbruck. The master builder Johann (Giovanni) Bertolini, from Trentino, was entrusted with the implementation.
The construction work carried out in such difficult terrain could only be described as a technical masterpiece. Also remarkable is the fact that with about 200 employees only one fatal accident was recorded. One of the men involved in the construction was the carrier Franz Josef Matthies, known as "Avalanche Franz Josef". In his notebook, he meticulousy recorded all the transports he made on behalf of master builder Johann Bertolini.